Renewals, Checkouts & Returns
You may renew your Library checkouts a number of ways:
- Access My Account:
Log in to your online Library Account, view the items you have currently checked out, and choose "RENEWAL ALL" or "RENEW SELECTED ITEMS" (which you have checked)
- Phone the Telephone Renewal System at 1-408-808-2665 any time
- Phone Access Services at 1-408-808-2000 during regular hours
- Visit an Accounts Desk in person at any Library location
To see how many times you may renew a type of Library item, view your category on the Borrower Privileges page.
You may renew any Library item unless it falls into any of these groups:
- Items for which someone else has made a hold request
- Items that you have already renewed the maximum allowable number of times
- Items that are part of Course Reserves
- Some Link+ and Interlibrary Services items
Before you may renew a Library item, you must first "check it out" from the Library.
Self-Checkout machines are available at all San José Library locations. To utilize these machines, you will need to have your Library Card, remember your PIN, and have a Library Account in "good standing."
You may return most items borrowed from the Library to any of its locations — the exception is SJSU Course Reserves (see below).
- The borrower is responsible for late fines and loss or damage charges resulting from improper returns.
- Items returned after the Library has closed are considered returned on the next open day.
- Outside book drops are open after closing at all Library locations.
- SJSU Course Reserves (aka Academic Reserves) items are checked out at King Library and must be returned to the King Library Academic Reserves Desk.
- For more information about borrowing Course Reserves items, see Course Reserves Checkouts, Renewals and Fines.
- You can return to San José Library the items you borrowed from other library systems (such as Santa Clara County or Sunnyvale), but we advise against it.
- We will return the items to their home library, but you are responsible for them until they reach that library.
- Your items are not returned until they are checked in at their home library, which may be several days after you drop them here.